Make-A-Wish Oklahoma is a $2.5 million, privately supported non-profit organization with offices in Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma. Make-A-Wish Oklahoma grants the wishes of Oklahoma children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy. Since 1982, Make-A-Wish Oklahoma has granted over 2,600 wishes which have impacted the lives of thousands of Oklahomans. The Make-A-Wish brand ranks second in the top 10% of most trusted brands, as reported by the 2014 Harris Poll/Equitrend study. While affiliated with Make-A-Wish America, Make-A-Wish Oklahoma operates as an independent 501(c)3 with an autonomous statewide board of directors.
Make-A-Wish Oklahoma will celebrate its 35th Anniversary in 2017 and will be launching a new strategic plan to reach the goal of consistently granting 200 wishes per year by 2021.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The CEO reports directly to the Board of Directors. The CEO is charged with building on Make-A-Wish Oklahoma's years of success, realizing the organization’s vision, and achieving its goals for continued financial stability and community engagement. The CEO is the chief spokesperson representing the organization to constituencies, both internal and external. In addition to the operational, financial and administrative duties, the scope of responsibility includes overseeing program management, fund development, marketing, community relations, and strategic thinking and planning. The CEO will build, foster, and maintain a balanced organizational culture that combines the richness and relevance of programs with the efficacy of best business practices, fiscal accountability, and institutional impact.
- Lead a collaborative process with the Board of Directors and its committees, executing decisions effectively and ensuring that the Board of Directors and its committees are informed of critical developments in a timely and effective manner.
- Collaborate closely with the Board of Directors and staff to create vision as well as execute and expand upon the strategic plan and budget.
- Continue to support the development and cultivation of a strong Board of Directors, representative of the diverse community. Additionally, willing to lead and contribute to the development of the programs and play an integral role in developing prospects, cultivating major donors and funding agencies.
- Manage and direct a comprehensive fund development plan that identifies prospects and donors and enhances the short and long term diversified funding base.
- Continue to raise the public profile of Make-A-Wish Oklahoma by serving as the spokesperson and advocate for the chapter, as well as being a visible, visionary and influential leader and fundraiser in the community.
- Define and execute the strategy of effectively mobilizing volunteers in support of its programs.
- Ensure that the organization is effectively structured and staffed with competent employees.
- Lead, motivate, manage and develop staff to invoke passion about the mission of Make-A-Wish Oklahoma, and foster an environment committed to continuous improvement.
- Manage and implement an effective performance management system for all employees which will include setting objectives and evaluation on an annual basis.
- Guide the increased awareness and impact of the organization, clearly articulating its mission, vision, programs, and strategic direction.
- Continuously assess community needs, evaluating partnership opportunities to promote programs uniquely suited to the mission.
- Oversee and execute programmatic excellence by establishing operational benchmarks and setting timelines to achieve strategic goals. Continually review and evaluate programs and report findings to the Board of Directors accordingly.
- Ensure that wish referrals and completed wishes reflect the diversity of the region and the communities served.
- Ensure fiduciary responsibility, sound financial management, and financial accountability for contributions, income, and all other Make-A-Wish assets. Ensure public accountability consistent with Make-A-Wish Foundation® of America policies.
- Oversee facilities, risk management and operational management.
- Ensure the Chapter is meeting the standards and performance measures established by Make‑A‑Wish America.
- Work collaboratively with Make-A-Wish America, other Make-A-Wish chapters and major donors, volunteer leadership, community organizations, and businesses in the region.
- Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Passion for Make-A-Wish Oklahoma’s mission.
- Imagination, vision, leadership, and integrity.
- A minimum of five years of major gift fundraising with individuals/corporations in a professional capacity and/or a minimum of five years of chairing diversified fundraising programs, as a volunteer with demonstrated results.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of senior management experience, with increasing levels of responsibility and management of staff, preferably with direct stewardship of Boards of Directors.
- Experience leading a complex organization through significant growth and/or change.
- Proven track record of management success with comparable P&L, planning, and operations responsibilities.
- Understanding the importance the organization and its volunteers have in their local communities.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies, including key community leaders and organizations.
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to strengthen infrastructure, to inspire staff and the Board of Directors, and to develop effective programs.
- Exceptional financial, organizational, and administrative skills.
- Excellent knowledge of fiscal management, budgeting, and cash flow management.
- The ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize, and follow through.
- The ability to draft formal letters/communications as well as edit written materials for the chapter.
- A strong interpersonal and communication skill set, and demonstrated ability to work effectively with and gain the respect and support of varied and changing constituencies, including staff, Board members, potential donors, volunteers, and others.
- A team builder with a track record of effective staff management, including hiring, rewarding, and retaining talented managers and administrative staff members.
- Ability to juggle many responsibilities at once and to operate both independently and with the flexibility to be part of a team.
- Computer literate: Knowledge of Word and Excel and ability to learn database software.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with an advanced degree preferred.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Commitment to the mission of Make-A-Wish Oklahoma, with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others.
- A manager who leads by example and exemplifies the values and ethics of the organization.
- An organized individual with strong creative and conceptual skills.
- A hands-on, engaged leader who functions effectively without being autocratic or political; must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic, and fair minded.
- A decisive and resourceful individual with the willingness to accept responsibility and take charge of results, and is able to work successfully with limited resources.
- A self-starter who is confident enough to express opinions, forging ahead when appropriate and holding back when necessary, and sensitive to the feelings and opinions of others.
- An energetic person who is emotionally mature and dependable; a collegial individual.
Apply online at http://sterlingsearchinc.com/ceomawok/.
Direct all correspondence emails and telephone calls to Sterling Search, Inc. Any resumes sent or telephone calls to Make-A-Wish Oklahoma will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc. c/o Julie Lugo (email@example.com or 1-714-433-7042).